Pages

.

Tex-Mex Bake




I was going through my Gooseberry Patch Homestyle Favorites cookbook when I came across this recipe. As I looked to see whose recipe it was, I was surprised to see the name Jenny Flake! Not really surprised, because she's that awesome, but you know what I mean. Jenny is the Jenny from Picky Palate. I adore that girl and her site. This recipe is one of her family's favorites, and I can see why. So delicious. It reminds me of chicken enchiladas, only not rolled up. My picky eaters even liked it. Score.


2 (12.5 oz.) cans chicken, drained and shredded
2 (10 oz. cans) mild red sauce (as in enchilada sauce)
1 can cream of chicken soup
4.5 oz can diced green chiles
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 1/2 c. shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
1 c. sour cream
1/2 c. diced onion
1/2 tsp. pepper
10 flour tortillas (I used the regular sized, not the huge burrito size), cut into 1" strips (just use a pizza cutter)
1/2 c. sliced black olives

Combine first 5 ingredients and half the cheese; mix. Blend in sour cream, onion, and pepper; set aside. Arrange half the tortillas over the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking dish. Spoon half the chicken mixture over tortillas.


Repeat layers, ending with chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with olives. Cover loosely and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Tip: Casseroles are best when prepared ahead of time. That way the flavors can meld together for a better tasting dish! I mixed everything together and refrigerated it in a bowl overnight. Then I put it together in the dish and baked it. Super fast meal!


Photobucket
I linked this to Foodie Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment