Pages

.

Honey Whole Wheat Rolls

My friend Kelsey has a blog I just recently found out.
Yeah, where was I?
It is full of healthy recipes and tips.
We are talking Healthy with a capital "H".
Go check it out for yourself.
And tell Kelsey I say, "Hey"
I already was phasing margarine out of our diets because I love real butter and how it's, well, real.
Margarine is not.
Read this and you will understand.
I am trying to be healthier. Baby steps, people.
I came across her recipe for Whole Wheat Bread and Rolls.
I made the rolls and I have a confession.
It was my first time making homemade rolls.
I know, don't throw things at me, but it's true.
And oh so easy!
 
 
Ingredients
3 c. warm water
2 T. active dry yeast
2/3 c. raw honey
1 c. unsweetened apple sauce
1 T. natural salt
2 T. dough enhancer
1/4 c. vital gluten
9-10 c. whole wheat bread flour
 
How You Do It
Put warm water in your mixing bowl. Sprinkle yeast on top and cover for about 10 minutes, or until yeast activates (becomes bubbly). Add honey, applesauce, and 5 c. flour. Mix on low until it becomes a thick paste. Add salt, dough enhancer, and gluten. Mix just until combined and let sit for 5 minutes. Begin adding flour while mixing. Add a cup at a time, until the dough begins to leave the sides of the bowl. Knead on high speed for 10 minutes.

Form loaves or into rolls or buns and place in greased pans and cover with a clean dish towel to rise. Let rise for 30-45 minutes in a warm place. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Tip:place my bread/rolls on top of the oven while it's preheating. It keeps them nice and warm.

Makes 3 loaves, or 2 loaves and 1 dozen buns/rolls (each "loaf" size makes 1 dozen buns).

Bake bread for 28-35 minutes. If it begins to brown too quickly, cover lightly with foil and continue baking. Bake buns/rolls for 18 minutes (or until golden brown on top).

Remove from pans onto cooling racks.
 
Slather with real butter...
 
 
and homemade jam!
Because it's the right thing to do.
 
 

Photobucket
Note: Here's a great article on Dough Enhancers if you are unfamiliar with them.
Kelsey's Note: I use a commercial one, but like this article says, if you use eggs or other things listed in your bread, then they act as dough enhancers as well. They just make your bread lighter, tastier, and last longer (especially when working with whole wheat flour)!

No comments:

Post a Comment