Pages

.

Apple Cake with Vanilla Caramel Sauce



Hooray for Fall! I love the changing of the seasons. I love the cool nights when I don't quite need the heater on, but still has a chill in the air. I love that I don't need my AC on anymore. Just perfect weather. This is when I break out all those comfy cozy recipes. Soups, stews, hearty warm dishes are what I love about Fall. Like this dessert. It is best served warm with the Vanilla Caramel Sauce drizzled on top-it can't be beat. I love it more than my Pumpkin Cake with Cider Caramel Sauce, which is amazing. You could use this sauce on the Pumpkin Cake if you wanted to . You can also add walnuts to either cake, though I leave mine without.

This recipe came from our neighbor lady when we first moved into our new home when I was 14. She brought it over as a welcoming gift. I ate my piece and walked right over to her house to ask for the recipe. That's the foodie in me. I had to have that recipe. She gladly shared it and I'm forever grateful to Mrs. Halverson, wherever she is.

The first time I make this cake each season, I always end up having two pieces. Why I don't just start with a large piece, I don't know. You'll end up doing the same. The top gets a little crust on it and the inside is so moist and warm. 


Printable Version

Ingredients
4 c. peeled and diced apples (I used Golden Delicious)
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
2 beaten eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. flour 
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt

Directions
  • Put the apples and sugar into a large bowl; stir to coat the apples. 
  • Add the oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir all together. 
  • Add the flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt; stir together.
  • Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes until done.
Vanilla Caramel Sauce
1/2 stick butter (1/4 c.)
3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. water
2 Tbsp. flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions
  • Melt the butter in a sauce pan on medium heat.
  •  Add the rest of the ingredients, whisking to remove lumps. 
  • Cook until it bubbles. 
  • Remove from heat or turn to low to keep warm.
  • Serve over cake.
I sometimes cut the cake recipe in half and bake in a square dish or 11x7 dish. Works great. Refrigerate leftover cake and sauce. Warm up before serving. Feel free to add a dollop of whipped cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment